Tomi's diving blog

Finnish beginner diver writing about diving related stuff and logging dives.

PADI card / Suunto SK-7 leak fail

+ No comment yet
Unfortunately you can't trust the quality of the brand "Suunto" anymore... :(

PADI card

Today I went to the local diving store to pick up my PADI Open Water Diver (OWD) card and to complete the dry suit -course that I had the questions -part still undone so I can have another (!!) card in my wallet/gear bag/whatever... Why don't they just make a new card at PADI stating "This diver has certifications for OWD and Dry suit", because they have to make another card anyway...? Then you could throw the old card(s) away and just have one card stating which certifications you have. That would obviously be too easy? If there is a very good reason for multiple cards, please, feel free to correct me...

Suunto SK-7 bungee mount

In the store I remembered a buddy of mine telling it's much easier to navigate underwater if the compass is attached into a yoyo/retract -cord so you can drag it in front of your face when needed and read it from the side of the compass.
Unfortunately they did not have yoyos in the store so I got a bungee mount that allows me to mount the compass more freely compared to the original wrist mount that comes with the Suunto SK-7.
The store keeper said he always wears the compass on top of his hand with the bungee mount and said it's much better than the yoyo-mount. During the OWD -course I had the compass mounted with bungee mount too and it was much better than the wrist mount.

The truth about "Suunto quality" unveils...

At home I opened my gear bag only to see the two/three times dived Suunto SK-7 -compass had leaked! The smell was... Hmm.. Interesting, maybe mineral oil inside? Lucky me, it had leaked on the side of the bag, which is waterproof and smooth so I was able to clean it with some kitchen-use-grease-removing detergent. Had it leaked into regulator/octo I'd been really mad! The compass has never got any hits and it looks like brand new.



I did not see any visible cracks, just spilled oil and a bubble in the compass so I gently removed the "friction ring" and the compass module from the wrist mount. So far easy (enough lubricant I guess) but when trying to gently push the module in the bungee mount it started to leak again. I tried another time while trying to locate the leak point at the same time, but without any luck. Small bubbles visible, but couldn't see the leak point.

Oh well, I hope these things have some kind of guarantee, because they aren't actually cheap things!

Addition #1

I managed to locate the leak point, here's a video:

Addition #2

The compass has been delivered to diving store from where it's going to be sent back to Suunto.

Post a Comment