Tomi's diving blog

Finnish beginner diver writing about diving related stuff and logging dives.

Dive #5

+ No comment yet
Dive 5? Where are first, second, third, fourth? They are included in the OWD -course and therefore not written about here.

Dive time: 16+10 minutes
Start pressure: 210 bars
End pressure: 110 bars
Deco time: -
Maximum depth: 15,5 meters
Plan: See the sunken boat and some fish + stuff in the bottom.


The first Oxy Dive Club week dive I attended to was at Glaston shore, lake Kaukajärvi, Tampere.

It was a very warm day and I was already exhausted after getting my gear together and sweating like *beep* after pulling my drysuit on. The suit really is like a sauna on summer.

Everything seemed to be ok, so we headed in the water to get a bit cooler. Just as we showed thumbs down I realized I had only half of the weight I was supposed to! That means I had 4 kg out of 8 kg and as you might know (if you have done scubadiving or are aware of buoyancy controlling) getting down will be a challenge. It wasn't a funny feeling floating 0,5m under water and no matter how much you lifted left shoulder or pressed the BCD outlet valve you were unable to get down...

Eventually, after a lot of work and thanks to the full air tank (and probably to the liters of water in my BCD) I was able to get down, but staying there was really hard so after 15 minutes I accidentally put too much air in my drysuit at 15 meters and that was it... Up I went like a cork, but not legs first. Not funny at all. Luckily we hadn't been under water long enough there would be decompression stops. Also the exhale-reflex and "aaa" -sound came from "backbone".



Yes, ascent warnings and stuff which are not a surprise, it really was an uncontrolled and unwanted ascent.

After getting myself together at the surface I tried going down again. It proved to be impossible: Not enough air in the tank and not enough weights so I only got into 6 meters and called it a day. I settled into waiting for the others to surface.




I know you are supposed to check your gear BEFORE going to water. I know! Well, trust me, I will
check the weights from now on! I thought I had the weights in the BCD pockets, but didn't. Of course that is not an excuse and lesson learned by the hard way.

Possible Suunto Vyper -bug?

Check the latter image... How is it possible to float in the water and computer showing 3-4 meters depth...? Something wrong with the computer maybe?

Scubapro Nova 230?

How did it do? The light was not even nearly as powerful as I would have liked it to be, but again... A tech geek talking and already planning a DIY canister light ;).

Post a Comment