Tomi's diving blog

Finnish beginner diver writing about diving related stuff and logging dives.

Super simple GoPro mount

+ No comment yet
As I was going to dive in a very clear water lake I though why not take a GoPro Hero HD2 -camera with me...? It's water proof to 20 meters and can stand some hits if necessary.
I do not own any "proper" underwater camera (yet) and I hate shaky videos so I made a super simple mount to hold the GoPro -camera with my both hands:

Parts needed

  • 60 cm 40x5 mm aluminum bar (use whatevery you like, I just had this laying around)
  • GoPro -tripod mount (you can also use the sticky mounts that came with the camera)
  • Regular camera mount screw [link to eBay]
  • Some kind of rubber plate or washers under the GoPro tripod mount, I used a part of an old car mat (only needed if your camera mount screw is too long like mine was)
  • Bungee cord and a lock to attach the mount to BCD
  • Optional: Some kind of cushion for the handles for better grip

Instructions

  • File the sharp edges of the aluminum so your gloves won't get punctured. Make the corners round too.
  • Bend the bar 90 degrees at 15 cm from the ends dividing the bar to 15-30-15 cm portions
  • Drill a 7 mm hole to the middle of the 30 cm portion
  • Insert the screw from the hole through the rubber/washers to the GoPro tripod mount and tighten while keeping an eye of a correct direction of the tripod mount (I prefer rubber as the hole in the rubber can be made smaller than the screw so the rubber holds the screw and won't let if fall even when the tripod mount if removed.
  • Apply the cushions and cord with the lock
Pros
  • Better and much more stable grip of camera compared to single had mount which can be very shaky
  • Can also be used with any other device compatible with regular camera mount screw
  • In case the mount falls it is attached and won't get lost
Cons
  • Looks a bit bulky
  • I forgot GoPro Hero HD 2 cannot focus under water with regular lens so my first video was unsharp  (you need a flat lens or dive housing)

Post a Comment